Saturday, July 17, 2010

"I blog therefore I am."

Welcome to the Blind Luck Blog. I'm Jamis Johnson and this is my personal record--my eclectic collection of opinion, observation, intriguing ideas, and experiences.

SOME BITS ABOUT ME: BANJO-LAWYER-BLIND-MORMON-FATHER-IDEA GUY-SEMI-PARIAH

Here, in random order, are some things to know about me: I'm a bluegrass musician. I play guitar, banjo, mandolin, stand-up bass, and some classical guitar.(For 20 years on Sunday evenings at the house, we've played music in the living room with anyone interested in joining, and I give free guitar lessons to anyone who shows up on these Sunday nights--probably a couple hundred kids and adults over the years.) I'm legally blind--don't drive a car but ride a bike a lot (slowly); I'm a lawyer having been educated at an Ivy League law school. I'm a Mormon guy still trying to figure out life and God and meaning. (2 year mission to the Philippines at age 19.) I'm about 6' tall, good shape. (Bike riding!) My twin sister and I were born on Valentine's Day in Arizona in 1952. (Yes - that is awhile back.) I'm the father of 6 remarkable children: My youngest daughter is Korean, These offspring are interesting kids. One is a news broadcaster/journalist, one's a psychiatrist, there is a budding venture capitalist/law student, an entrepreneur with a business in India, a couple are still undergrads. Some are tech types and some are artsy types. They are great. I've lived in Salt Lake City, Utah for a couple of decades. Before that I lived in New York City for 5-6 years, and in Europe (I was a Fulbright Scholar to the University of Bucharest when Romania was a communist country). I went to Jr. High and High School in Eugene,Oregon--proud to say I was student body president of good old Winston Churchill High. I'm single, and the last 4-5 years of my life have been rather chaotic and...well...interesting, to say the least. I like history, art, literature, spirited (but amicable) debate and I'm fascinated by the unfolding events of our time. I like good wit, humor - from subtle satire to raucous slapstick--, exotic ideas, spiritual reflection and music. I myself can be hilarious--I think. I'm creative. I'm big on civil liberties. I am wondering what I will do with my life these next 35 years which I hope will be both profound and a party--or rather a celebration--and full of extraordinary experiences. I hope this blog will reflect who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment